HISTORY OF THE AWARD
The Tulane University School of Medicine, Family Medicine Excellence Award is an annual award presented by Tulane University School of Medicine. This award is given each year to the graduating Tulane Medical Student who is entering a Family Medicine Residency and who best demonstrates a commitment to, and models the principles of, Family Medicine. These principles are high quality, patient-oriented, continuity and preventive care across the spectrum of age, disease, and health, in the context of Family and community. This commitment includes leadership and advocacy for the specialty of Family Medicine. The Award consists of an appropriately inscribed plaque accompanied by a cash award and is normally presented by the President of the LAFP or his designated officer representative at the annual Ivy Day Award Ceremony prior to commencement. Naming of the recipient must be timed and coordinated with Tulane's Office of Student Affairs to allow publication of the recipient's name in the Ivy Day Program. It is requested that the President of the LAFP forward a letter each year to the Chairman of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Tulane University inviting them to announce the award at LAFP's Annual Assembly.
This award, initiated by the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Tulane with graduation of the Class of 2003, replaces that given previously through the generosity of the Auxiliary of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians before it was disbanded. In 2008, the sponsorship and funding of the award transitioned to the LAFP-Foundation
TULANE FAMILY MEDICINE EXCELLENCE AWARD FUND
- The Fund will be known as the Tulane Family Medicine Excellence Fund.
- The Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians Foundation will serve as custodian for the Fund.
- The character and scope of the award will be under the discretion of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians Foundation.
- The monies deposited to the fund will be in such interest bearing accounts that will provide the best yield in order to insure perpetuation of the award.
TULANE FAMILY MEDICINE EXCELLENCE AWARD
- The award will be knows as the "Tulane Family Medicine Excellence Award" for outstanding leadership and scholarly accomplishments in the field of family medicine.
- The recipient receives a letter documenting this achievement from the Chairman of the Department of Family and Community Medicine, and a monetary award. The Tulane Family Medicine Excellence Award is formally presented each year at Ivy Day Ceremonies, preceding commencement.
- A plaque listing the names of all previous is maintained in the Department.
- The LAFP Foundation Board will determine the amount of the cash award annually. The award may be supplemented by the Department at its discretion.
- Candidates for the "Tulane Family Medicine Excellence Award" are nominated by the faculty of the Department of Family Medicine and Community Medicine and a recommendation for the recipient will be made by a committee of the faculty after obtaining input form Departmental staff and reviewing Clerkship and rotation evaluations, the students' personal statements submitted with residency applications, and students' service and leadership activities while at Tulane.
- Letters of recommendation should accompany nominations from a member of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians or the Tulane University School of Medicine Family Medicine faculty.
- The LAFP Foundation Board will make final selection of the recipient of the "Tulane Family Medicine Excellence Award".
- The LAFP staff will order the plaque to be available for presentation at awards ceremony by the date as determined by Tulane School of Medicine.
- The award is to be given to one student and may be shared between two (2) students if appropriate candidates are nominated.
- The award does not have to be given annually if there is no suitable candidate.
- The President of the LAFP or his designated officer representative shall present the award at the annual Ivy Day Award Ceremony prior to commencement, possible.
Candidates for the "Tulane Family Medicine Excellence Award" should be:
- A senior graduating from Tulane University School of Medicine.
- A person who has demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in family medicine.
- A person who has been accepted into a Family Medicine Residency Program.
- A person who has shown evidence of active student leadership in family medicine activities
- A person who has demonstrated evidence of superior scholastic achievement in overall medical school studies and particularly in the field of family medicine.
- Be a student member in good standing of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Family Physicians.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS CONSIDERED TO REFLECT THE SELECTION CRITERIA MAY INCLUDE:
- Participation in the Tulane School of Medicine Family Medicine Interest Group
- Such student must have selected course work in family practice during medical school activities such as a preceptorship or clerkship.
- Such individual should be readily identified by the student body as enthusiastic and interested in family medicine.
- Such person must have shown scholarly accomplishment in family medicine by the development of a research project, publication of a scientific paper.
- Such individual must have shown scholarly accomplishment in his medical school courses other than family medicine.
- Such individual should be a participant in Louisiana family medicine activities at the state or national level.
The nominations packet must contain the following:
- Completed nomination form (1 page PDF)
- Current curriculum vitae
- Letter of recommendation from the faculty of Tulane Department of Family Medicine or an LAFP active member
The nominations along with the supporting documentation as detailed above are due to the LAFP office by April 1.
Electronic and hard copy nominations will be accepted. If submitting electronically, please scan the nomination form and all supporting documentation to one PDF file. Hard copy submissions also will be accepted. If mailing, please do not fold the materials. The packet should be mailed flat with no staples. No two-sided copies, please.
Nominations, along with all supporting materials and documentation, can be emailed or mailed to:
Lee Ann Albert, RN
Membership and Education Director
Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians
919 Tara Boulevard
Baton Rouge, LA 70806